To develop well-disciplined, intelligent, graceful-bodied and physically fit young people who may go on to professional careers or may choose to apply their dance education in other fields:
- To direct each student towards a path of excellence in life.
- To mentor talent and encourage professional development.
- To encourage respect for others and the ability to work collaboratively as a team.
- To provide community service and leadership training through participation in outreach programs.
- To foster self-esteem and self-discipline.
- To develop a lifelong friendship with the arts.
- To nurture the mind, the body, and the soul through dance education.
What does dance education offer a child?
Dance training develops discipline, concentration, alertness and body control, which aids in scholastic endeavors and personal growth. Carriage, body lines, coordination, grace, style, technique and artistry are some of the benefits that a dance education can bring.
Whatever goals a student may have, correct instruction is an absolute necessity and must never be sacrificed. The risks are too great. Premature advancement based on some artificial timetable can exact a bitter price in malformation of bone and muscle which might never be able to be corrected.
What Sets Us Apart
For 20 years, Susan Olson Santoro (Artistic Director) has taught dance, discipline, physical fitness and the enjoyment of music and movement to students of all ages. Founded in 2008, New York Academy of Ballet (NYAB) provides instruction in all levels of ballet, pointe, modern, jazz, and hip-hop as well as outreach and enrichment programs to schools and the surrounding community.
- Experienced teachers. All teachers at NYAB are former professional dancers trained at prestigious schools including School of American Ballet (the official school of New York City Ballet), American Ballet Theatre, or hold a BFA degree in dance.
- All faculty members are committed to our philosophy of dance education and to helping students achieve their best.
- Academy standards for teaching, classroom behavior, student expectations, and dress code.
- Structured children's dance syllabus that is result oriented and taught with joy and enthusiasm.
- Professional studio space including a 1,400 sq. ft. sprung floor dance studio with Harlequin Studio Marley, which helps to reduce fatigue and prevent injuries.
- Central City of Poughkeepsie location, steps away from the Bardavon Opera House.
- Customer Services - front desk staff is available to provide assistance.